By Lyndsay Winkley
April 3, 2014
BORREGO SPRINGS — The public is being asked to weigh in on a state proposal to allow a 63-year-old sexually violent predator to live under supervision in Borrego Springs, after his last suggested placement was rescinded.
The Department of State Hospitals has proposed placing Terry Stone, a three-time convicted pedophile, in a house on Frying Pan Road near T Anchor Drive.
Officials previously suggested a location in Spring Valley for Stone's placement, but the site was too close to a high school and an in-home daycare.
A public hearing on the new potential location is set for 9 a.m. May 2 in San Diego Superior Court, Department 53.
The single-story house on Frying Pan Road sits on less than an acre. No fences separate the home from surrounding properties.
The District Attorney's Office described Stone as a pedophile who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. He was convicted in three cases of committing lewd and lascivious acts on children ages 6 to 11.
He was sentenced to 19 years in prison in 1994. Before his 2003 release date, a court found Stone fit the predator criteria and he was committed to the state hospital. He participated in a lengthy treatment program in the hopes of one day being able to continue his treatment in the community under heavy supervision.
A court granted his petition for conditional release in December.
County Supervisor Bill Horn, who represents Borrego Springs, said he would be writing to the Department of State Hospitals to object to Stone's placement and encouraged community residents to do the same.
“Sexual predators belong in prison, not in our neighborhoods with our children and families," he said.
Comments on Stone's placement may be submitted through April 11 by email at email@example.com, by phone at (858) 495-3619 or in writing to SVP Release/SAFE Task Force, 9425 Chesapeake Drive, San Diego, CA 92123.
© Copyright 2014 The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC. An MLIM LLC Company. All rights reserved.